You can read the entire review here. If you want to skip to Phil's conclusions, go here.
As of 5/31/08, here are the current prices on the Rebel XTi, XSi & 40D on Amazon:
- Canon Rebel XTi body only $599
- Canon Rebel XTi with 18-55 kit lens $689
- Canon Rebel XSi body only $799
- Canon Rebel XSi with 18-55 image stabilized kit lens $849
- Canon 40D body only $954 (price includes Canon $200 instant rebate)
- Canon 40D with 28-135 image stabilized lens $1129 (price includes Canon $200 instant rebate)
Reasons to buy the XSi over the XTi?
- You're buying 1 year newer technology
- Bigger Screen
- Much better high ISO performance (ISO 800/1600) (100% usable). This enables indoor flash-free photography (best done with a prime lens: Example 50mm f1.8 $80)
- 12 MP vs. 10 MP
- Faster overall operation
If you're really thinking of the XSi, you should also give serious consideration to the 40D. With the current Canon $200 instant rebate on the 40D, it's now only $140 more than the Rebel XSi. (when comparing body-only prices.) The 40D has a very similar feature-set to the Rebel XSi, but gives you:
- A much beefier build-quality: Magnesium alloy body (vs. Rebel XSi plastic body)
- Much beefier and more comfortable grip
- Can shoot at 6.5 frames per second (vs. 3.5 frames per second on the XSi). This is great for shooting sports.
You can see current prices and purchase the Rebel XTi/Rebel XSi/40D on this page on Amazon. Please support this blog by clicking through these links when purchasing your Canon DSLR. You pay the same price as normal, but I get a tiny commission from Amazon.