Saturday, May 3, 2008

Photos from Slot Canyons

The following photos are from a couple slot canyons in Grand Staircase National Monument. These 2 canyons are called 'peek-a-book' and 'spooky'. You have to drive about 30 miles down a dirt road to get to the trailhead and then hike in about a mile. It was a great photo opportunity and one of the kids favorite activities from our 2 week southwest US road-trip.

Canon 5D Camera, Canon 17-40 f4 lens, focal length 17mm, ISO 800, Shooting mode 'program' (P), Exposure compensation of +1/3, f5 aperture, 1/50 of a second shutter speed, white balance set to 'shade', picture style set to 'standard', hand-held.

Canon 5D camera, Canon 200 f2.8 lens, Shooting mode of aperture priority (Av), ISO 800, f2.8 aperture (to gather as much light as possible & isolate the subject), shutter-speed of 1/160 of a second (selected by the camera), Exposure compensation -1 (to have the picture reflect the dark early evening lighting], picture style set to 'standard'.


Canon 5D camera, Canon 17-40 f4 lens, focal length 17mm, ISO 800, shooting mode of 'program', exposure compensation (EC) -1/2, aperture f4, shutter-speed 1/15 of a second, picture style set to 'standard', white balance set to 'shade', hand-held.


Canon 5D camera, Canon 17-40 f4 lens, ISO 400, shooting mode of 'program', exposure compensation (EC) -1, aperture f4, shutter-speed 1/25 of a second, picture style set to 'standard', white balance set to 'shade', hand-held.


Canon 5D camera, Canon 17-40 f4 lens, focal length 17mm, ISO 800, shooting mode of 'program', exposure compensation (EC) -1, aperture f18, shutter-speed 1/800 of a second, picture style set to 'standard', white balance set to 'cloudy', hand-held.


Canon 5D camera, Canon 17-40 f4 lens, focal length 17mm, ISO 250, shooting mode of 'program', exposure compensation (EC) -1, aperture f8, shutter-speed 1/1250 of a second, picture style set to 'standard', white balance set to 'cloudy', hand-held.


The kids were running and scrambling very fast through the slot canyons and I was running as fast as I could to keep up.

Here are some of the techniques I used to make these photos work:

Because the slot canyons were so narrow and I would also be needing to use my hands to climb in sections, so I just brought the camera with my 17-40 wide-angle lens mounted. No tripod, no camera bag (as it was, I had to take make Camelback off in sections to squeeze through a couple very narrow sections.)

If the kids hat not been with me, I would have brought the tripod. The tripod would have allowed me to shoot at ISO 100 and f13 apertures, delivering better quality enlargements and kept 'everything sharp.' But, this was more of a 'family hike' than a photo shoot.

I used an ultra-wide angle lens so I could capture as much of the slot canyon as possible (Canon 17-40 f4 lens.) If I had been shooting a crop-body, I would have used the Canon 10-22 lens.

Since the slots canyon were so dark, and I was shooting without a tripod, I set ISO to 800 so I would get fast enough shutter-speeds. I dialed ISO down to 400 if I came to a sunny section. I was switching between ISO 800/400 a lot.

I shot in 'program' mode so the camera would choose the best combination of both aperture & shutter-speed (I wanted both the aperture & shutter-speed to 'ramp-up' when more light was available.)

I used exposure compensation to get the exposure correct. In most cases the meter was getting the exposure 'wrong', so I was using +/- exposure compensation to get exposure right.

I also shot in RAW, so I could have additional exposure compensation latitude in post-processing.

Compared to some of the other parks we visited, Grand Staircase was more remote and undeveloped, which I liked. We stayed at the Slot Canyons Inn (Bed and Breakfast), which was very nice.

No comments: