Monday, March 10, 2008

Cool waterfall photo during huge flood

Camera: Canon 5D, Lens: Canon 50mm f1.4, Shooting mode: Aperture priority, Aperture: f2.0, Shutter speed: 1/2000 of a second, ISO: 1600, Picture style: Landscape.

I was up in Seattle and I had some time after after work to grab my camera and try and get a picture of Snoqualmie Falls. It has been raining like crazy for the past week and the news was saying the river was running really high.

I tried a couple different lenses, and a bunch of different shutter-speeds, and this photo was my favorite. There was no room to setup my tripod, so I could only use shutter-speeds that I could hand-hold. Shutter-speeds around 1/200 or 1/500 just looked blurry, so I went with very fast 1/2000 shutter-speed to try and freeze the water. It was late in the day and getting dark, so I ended-up using ISO 1600 (to maximize the light gathering capability of the sensor) and f2.0 (to maximize the light gathering capacity of the lens, without testing the 'softer' side of this lens at it's widest apertures.)

I really like the resulting shot. The tight cropping (forced on me by the 50mm prime lens I was using), really makes you feel like the waterfall is massive (which it was.)

This is another shot that I don't think I could have made nearly as well without a prime lens.

No comments: